☰ Menu

Mendip Revenues and Benefits Information

If you are living in Mendip District Area and urgently require help in accessing benefits, you are definitely interested in how does the overall help look like and how you can access it.

Who can claim?

You may be entitled to Housing Benefit if:
• you pay rent
• you're on a low income or claiming benefits
• your savings after below a certain level – usually below £16,000
• you can apply if you are employed or unemployed
• if you are single and under 35, you are only able to receive Housing Benefit at a shared accommodation. This is usually bed sit accommodation or a single room in shared accommodation

Who can't claim?
Usually you will be not be entitled to Housing Benefit if:

• your savings are over £16,000, unless you are in receipt of
• Guarantee Pension Credit
• you live in the home of a close relative
• you are a full time student, unless you are disabled or have children
• you are an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
• you are residing in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker

What you can get?
You may get help with all or part of your rent. There is no set amount of Housing Benefit that you can receive. How much you can get depends on:
• your 'eligible' rent, e.g. not any gas or electric included within your rent
• if you have a spare room
• your household income, including benefits, pensions and savings over £6000
• your circumstances e.g. age of people in the house or if someone has a disability

Local Housing Allowance

If you are renting a house privately then a Local Housing Allowance is usually used to work out the amount of rent used in the calculation of Housing Benefit. The Local Housing Allowance rate is worked out by where you live and your household size. The Local Housing Allowance rates are set by the Valuation Office Agency.


Social Housing Size Restrictions

Housing Benefit could be reduced if you live in social housing and have a spare bedroom.

The reduction is:
• 14% of the 'eligible rent' for 1 spare bedroom
• 25% of the 'eligible rent' for 2 or more spare bedrooms

Examples of reduced housing benefit
Your eligible rent is £100 per week. Housing Benefit pays £50 and you pay £50. You have 1 spare bedroom so the reduction is 14%. This means your Housing Benefit will be reduced by £14 per week.

Sharing bedrooms
• 2 children under 16 of the same sex are expected to share.
• Children who can't share because of a disability or medical condition are not expected to share

Benefits Calculator
You can use our housing benefit calculator for an online estimate. You can find out if you have been affected by any changes using our welfare reform calculator.

Our benefit calculators can be found on our website

How to Claim?

If you are claiming other benefits

Contact the Job Centre Plus to claim Housing Benefit with your claim for the following benefits:
• Income Support
• Job Seekers Allowance
• Employment and Support Allowance

The Job Centre Plus will send details of your claim for Housing Benefit directly to us.

If you are claiming Pension Credit

Contact the Pension Service to claim Housing Benefit with your claim for Pension Credit.

The Pension Service will send details of your claim for Housing Benefit directly to us.

If you are not claiming other benefits

Contact Mendip District Council. To make a claim for Housing Benefit with us you can:
• Call us on 0300 303 8588 and request a form
• Call us on 0300 303 8588 and request to book an appointment so your claim can be processed while you wait
• Visit one of council access points
• Download an application form

Council Tax Recovery Process

The flowcharts below explain the Council Tax recovery process





Council Access Points Information

Frome Library, Justice Lane, Frome,
BA11 1BE

Glastonbury Library, 1 Orchard Court,
The Archers Way, Glastonbury, BA6 9JB

Shepton Mallet
Council Offices, Cannards Grave Road,
Shepton Mallet, BA4 5BT

Street Crispin Community Centre,
Leigh Road,
Street, BA16 0HA

Wells Town Hall, Market Place, Wells,

Please check website for details of the Council Access Point
opening times here.