☰ Menu

School Admissions

If you live in England and have children in preschool, perhaps you are wondering how to register a child for school.

The first point of contact and information should be local Council.     Your local council can give you a booklet about schools’ criteria and how to apply. You must apply for a place at a school, even if it’s linked to your child’s current nursery or primary school.  When you fill in the form (online or on paper) you’ll be asked to list the schools you’re applying for in order of preference. You must apply for at least 3 schools.

In contacts with the local authorities can enlist the help of an interpreter - you should ask for such support.

Deadlines to apply

  • primary school - 15 January.
  • secondary school - 31 October.

Councils will send confirmations for:

  • primary schools on 16 April
  • secondary schools on 1 March

What documents are needed?

  • proof of date of birth (Birth certificate or passport )
  • proof of address (bill, a letter)
  • document confirming the right person registering the child care (Birth certificate).

How to choose a school?
You can find out more by:

  • visiting the school
  • reading the school’s most recent Ofsted reports (here)
  • checking school league tables, which include exam results (here)
  • talking to other parents about what they think of the school 

 What to do if a child does not speak English?
By completing an application form should be noted that the child has Special educational needs) . Your child will receive additional support in learning the language.


  • Find a school (here)
  • Contact your local council (here)
  • Check if you meet the required criteria
  • Apply on time